Before starting to collaborate ask yourself
• What are your goals? What do your customers need?
• Can you achieve your objectives alone?
• Would collaboration help you compensate for your weaknesses and enhance your strengths? How?
• What happens if you do nothing and maintain the current course? (“Go-It-Alone Strategy”)
• Strategic fit: Shared vision and mission, little possibility of becoming direct competitors, potential synergies (1+1>3), similar plans for the future etc.
• Operational fit: Geographic coverage, visibility, approaches to decision-making, performance measures/incentive schemes, workforce etc.
• Chemistry fit: Compatible work ethics, long-term commitment to the industry, community, company, and people, Stability of personnel, flexibility and innovation, predictable, consistent behaviour (in a crisis) etc.